||Plymouth-Canton Community Schools
POSITION: Director of School Safety and Security
The Director of School Safety and Security is responsible for overseeing the safety and security management for the students and staff of the Plymouth-Canton Community School District. The Director maintains a safe and secure environment for students, employees and visitors by overseeing the enforcement of safety and security policies, access control procedures, accident prevention efforts, support risk management efforts, fire safety, emergency management, asset protection, parking control and traffic enforcement programs. The Director is responsible for developing and fostering positive community relationships between the District, the first responder community, and the school community. In addition, he/she is responsible for the supervision of the personnel under his/her jurisdiction, and the adherence to all policies and procedures of the Board of Education.
Candidates must be knowledgeable and capable of implementing current “best practices” for safety and security in a school district.
Plymouth-Canton Community Schools seeks an individual who has significantly demonstrated professional work experience in at least one of the primary fields relating to this position:
• Law Enforcement
• Emergency Management
• Fire Service
• Risk Management
1. Determines and communicates security processes and procedures by studying organization operations and schedules; establishes internal controls; conducts inspections as appropriate; reports potential hazards to appropriate departments; creates and updates Standard Emergency Operating Procedures, safety and security manuals.
2. Secures facilities, equipment, students and personnel by working in conjunction with the appropriate District departments in recommending safety and security equipment purchases and upgrades within budget; maintaining records of fire and other emergency drills and conducting drills when appropriate; supervising and maintaining access control and key distribution.
3. Conducts and coordinates safety, security and emergency preparedness training by developing, scheduling and/or facilitating training for staff, students and public safety officials relating to school
safety, security and emergency preparedness. Provides oversight, evaluation and documentation for safety, security and emergency preparedness training.
4. Conducts safety, security and emergency preparedness assessments by conducting and/or coordinating annual safety, security and emergency preparedness assessments of all school and support facilities.
5. Coordinates safety and security planning with schools resource officer (SRO) Personnel, local government planners and first responders.
6. Coordinates and supervises the work of the security officers to ensure order at Plymouth-Canton Educational Park, Starkweather Academy and other district facilities as needed during the school day and at district and school related events.
7. Conducts walk-through observations of the buildings in the school district to detect any safety issues and make recommendations for corrective action.
8. Coordinates school safety compliance with federal, state and local regulations by studying existing and new requirements and overseeing and enforcing school-wide adherence to requirements.
9. Coordinates with administration, public relations, first responders, and other appropriate personnel working within the National Incident Management System.
10. Oversees investigations into matters that impact student and staff safety such as building threats, hazmat situations, etc.
11. Contributes to team effort by integrating safety, security and emergency preparedness measures into the organization’s daily practices in a manner supportive of other departments and functions.
12. Coordinates safety planning and practice to support academic processes of each school by implementing best practices in safety, security and emergency preparedness with proper adaptation to the environment, creativity and innovation so the process of education can be enhanced rather than impeded by safety efforts.
13. Provides training of best practice of safety, security and emergency preparedness. Supports, trains and communicates with school crisis teams.
14. Perform such other tasks and assume each other responsibilities as may be assigned by the Superintendent or his/her designee.
METHOD OF APPLICATION:
Step 1 - Complete the online application
Complete all sections of the online application including the Administrator Supplemental section, and upload the following documents in the File Upload section:
• Cover Letter (attach in resume section) Address letter to Dr. Liz Vartanian-Gibbs
• Include a list of all training related to this position
• Three Letters of recommendation
• Transcripts for all degrees earned
• Copy of licenses
Please note that documents uploaded to your online application will need to be one of the following file formats: .jpg, .tif, .doc, .pdf, or .gif. Files should be no larger than 8.5" x 11" scanned in black and white or 256 grayscale. Because all required documents are attached to the online application, it is not necessary to submit paperwork to our office.
Step 2 - Apply for the position
From the main page of the your online application in the ‘Available Jobs’ section, find the job code for the position you are interested in and click ‘APPLY’ on the left-hand side of the page. The job will then appear at the top of the page in the ‘Jobs You Have Applied For’ section.