POSTING DATES: November 20, 2019 Until Filled
POSITION WAGES: $23.5047 – $29.4044/hr.
This is skilled police work in the protection of life and property through enforcement of laws and ordinances. Assignments are received and are carried out under established policies and procedures and according to laws, ordinances and departmental policy. Employees must use considerable judgment, initiative and skill in a variety of cases and must be able to act without direct supervision in completing work. This position reports to the appropriate police sergeant.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
* Patrols a designated area or the total city in a patrol car, on foot, bicycle or other means of conveyance; preserves law and order; prevents and discovers the commission of crime; apprehends criminals and offenders and enforces vehicle and traffic laws
* Responds to calls and complaints involving traffic accidents, robberies, felonies, misdemeanors, disturbances and a wide variety of civil and domestic situations; takes necessary police action, serves warrants, makes arrests as required and testifies as a witness in court
* Conducts preliminary investigations at the scenes of crimes and accidents; gathers evidence; locates and questions suspects and witnesses; makes arrest as required and testifies as a witness in court
* Prepares a number of reports on cases and complaints
* Transports and processes prisoners to court and jail
* Establishes traffic control and protection at incidents which attract crowds; performs police duties at special events and activities, such as parades, festivals, sporting events
* Performs daily routine maintenance and safety inspections on patrol cars
* Establishes and/or participates in Neighborhood Watch and related groups
* Establishes and maintains programs to impact at risk youth
* Participates with Business Watch Programs
* Participates in the police mountain bike program
* Participates in the school mentoring program
* Works with his/her assigned community to identify and to solve problems within that particular community with innovative and proven techniques
* Performs other related duties as assigned by supervisor
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
A high school diploma or equivalent and successful completion of MCOLES Police Certification Program.
* Possess and maintain a valid Michigan Driver's License
* Current basic first aid and CPR Certification
* Knowledge of modern police practices and methods
* Interpersonal skills in order to deal with the public firmly, courteously and tactfully
* Knowledge of City geography and street system
* Ability to analyze situations quickly and objectively, and to determine the proper course of action
* Ability to react quickly and calmly under emergency situations
* Ability to obtain accurate information through interview, interrogation and observation
* Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, orally and in writing
* Ability to develop skills in the use and care of firearms
* Ability to lift and carry objects weighing up to 165 pounds
TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT USED
Police car, police mountain bike, police radio, mobile laptop computer, radar gun, body cam, photographic equipment mugshot/fingerprint equipment, handcuffs, first aid equipment, PBT, breathalyzer, firearms, taser, OC spray, ASP baton and other weapons or equipment as required.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; and taste or smell.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move more than 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are a representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee frequently works in outside weather conditions. The employee occasionally works near moving mechanical parts; in high, precarious places; and with explosives and is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions, fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals, extreme cold, extreme heat, and vibration.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate; may be exposed to noisier conditions in the field.
Prepared in compliance with:
Romulus Policies and Procedures Manual
Americans with Disabilities Manual
Equal Employment Opportunity Act