Description & Details:
Emmett Charter Township, with a population of approximately 12,000 and encompassing 32 square miles, is pleased to announce that it seeks experienced police leaders to serve as the Township's next Director of Public Safety.
The Emmett Township Department of Public Safety provides police, fire and emergency medical services to the community and is staffed by 15 sworn public safety officers, 25 part-paid fire fighters and 2 non-sworn office staff. Sworn positions include the Director, 2 Lieutenants, 2 Uniform Sergeants, 1 Detective/Sergeant, 1 Detective and 8 Public Safety Officers. The Public Safety Officers, Sergeants and Lieutenants are represented by the Police Officers Labor Council (POLC). Sergeants and Lieutenants are represented by a separate bargaining unit within the POLC.
Emmett Charter Township adjoins the City of Battle Creek and I-94 runs through the heart of the township. It is a growing community with a vibrant school system and a significant commercial area.
Emmett Charter Township operates under the control of an elected Township Board. The Township Supervisor, Clerk and Treasurer are elected positions as well as the 4 elected trustees. The Director of Public Safety is selected by the Township Board and reports to the Supervisor.
The Ideal Candidate:
The Township is seeking a dynamic and collaborative professional with proven law enforcement leadership and managerial experience and strong interpersonal and customer service skills.
The ideal background and qualifications for the Director of Public Safety position include:
• Minimum of 10 years experience as a police officer of which 5 years show progressively responsible experience in supervision and management at a command level position or higher.
• Certification by the Michigan Commission on Law Enforcement Standards (MCOLES) Board or eligibility for certification within 6 months of employment.
• Certified as a Fire Fighter I and II by the Michigan Fire Fighters Training Council or eligibility for certification within 12 months of employment.
• Certified as an Emergency Medical Responder (EMR) or eligibility for certification within 12 months of employment.
• A Bachelor’s Degree in Police Science, Law Enforcement, Criminal Justice, Public Administration, or a closely related field; or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience sufficient to demonstrate the ability to perform the duties of Emmett Charter Township’s Director of Public Safety.
• Master’s degree and Command/Leadership level training such as the F.B.I. National Academy, Northwestern University’s School of Police Staff and Command or similar training is preferred.
• Outgoing, positive and approachable personality to encourage access with residents, business and governmental leaders.
• Open and available to Public Safety staff and Township employees by using an effective communicating philosophy, seeking input, and welcoming of and encouraging racial and gender diversity.
•Commitment to continued training, professional development and community engagement.
• Demonstrated experience building successful partnerships with community stakeholders.
• Proven history of practicing the principles of community policing and building community problem solving partnerships.
• Labor relations experience.
• Knowledge and experience with media relations, including experience and support of the use of social media as an opportunity to engage Public Safety Department stakeholders and promote the mission and goals of the department.
• Experience interacting and collaborating with other law enforcement agencies and mutual aid groups.
• Knowledge of current best practices and policies in policing and public safety.
•Sufficient experience to review organizational structure, staffing, and personnel assignments and make changes when appropriate, to ensure departmental capability to carry out its mission and responsibilities.
• Experience in addressing internal organizational and personnel issues present in most public safety agencies as well as having demonstrated ability in addressing these problems in a positive, professional, timely and impartial manner.
• Strategic thinker, anticipating issues or trends and must be open to new approaches and technologies while thinking beyond the walls of the Public Safety Department, understanding the needs of the Township as a whole and of the area’s public safety community.
• Excellent financial management skills, knowledge of capital planning and organizational management and a clear understanding of resource and budgetary limitations while avoiding micromanagement.
• Well-developed writing and public speaking skills and the ability to adjust one’s approach based upon the audience.
• Excellent reputation and a high level of honesty and integrity.
The starting salary for the position will depend upon the candidate’s qualifications and experience. In addition, the candidate will receive a quality benefits package including health insurance, defined benefit retirement program and paid time off.